Date: Jan 7, 2013 9:15 AM
Author: Henning Rokling
Subject: Assistance sought for measuring effect of brain training game

Along with a friend I have created a brain training number puzzle game which we believe will strengthen the arithmetic skills of everyone playing it. The game is called NumberJoy, and is a game for smartphones - both for Android and iPhones. It is slightly similar to Scramble with Friends, only with numbers, and will be released for free (but supported by advertising).

Now, as we have been working on this game for six months, we have noticed an effect on how we approach numbers. When playing, you start to work with patterns and groups of numbers, as that is the most effective strategy to get a good score. Before launching (or during the launch) we would like to look into whether we can measure any effect on the arithmetic skills of students if they play the game for 10 minutes every day for two weeks. We are not quite certain what would be the best age group, but we do believe it is for ages 12 and above.

If you are a math teacher and would like to help us with our study, please get in touch with us. However, as the game requires an iPhone or Android phone, it might not be suitable for a whole class as such - but an ad hoc group could be created at your school to carry out the project on a voluntary basis. Such a group could be age diverse.

If you would like to beta test the game first, you can - but it is not yet in the app stores. For Android users, contact me for a download link. For iPhone users, go to this link and follow the signup instructions there and in following emails: http://tflig.ht/U2DG75

Thank you,
Henning Rokling