Date: Jan 11, 2013 10:23 PM
Author: amzoti
Subject: Mathematica and Lisp

Hi All,

It is clear the Mathematica uses Lisp as one of the example programming paradigms it pulls from and I have a general question regarding this.

Many moons ago I took a Lisp class and was awful at it (Lisp was very new), but through Mathematica, have to come to understand the great power and utility of it.

Would it be helpful to learn Lisp in order to improve programming skills in Mathematica?

If so, what Lisp books would you recommend?

What variant of Lisp would you recommend using for practice - Common Lisp, Scheme, or Clojure? Would Mathematica itself be a better choice (I am not sure if it supports all the Lisp language constructs and such).

What about Haskell?

Any insights and guidance are appreciated.

Regards -A