Date: Jan 12, 2013 9:51 PM
Author: Murray Eisenberg
Subject: Re: Mathematica and Lisp

To say that one can better master Mathematica by learning Lisp seems as
far-fetched to me as saying that to master writing English one should
learn Old High German.

Better spend you time on learning Mathematica itself. The available
resources are abundant -- indeed, even overwhelmingly so . Take a look,
e.g., at the resources listed at:

http://mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/18/where-can-i-find-examples-of-good-mathematica-programming-practice

Of course if you have other reasons for (re)learning Lisp, that's a different matter.

On Jan 11, 2013, at 10:24 PM, amzoti <amzoti@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> It is clear the Mathematica uses Lisp as one of the example programming paradigms it pulls from and I have a general question regarding this.
>
> Many moons ago I took a Lisp class and was awful at it (Lisp was very new), but through Mathematica, have to come to understand the gat power and utility of it.
>
> Would it be helpful to learn Lisp in order to improve programming skills in Mathematica?
>
> If so, what Lisp books would you recommend?
>
> What variant of Lisp would you recommend using for practice - Common Lisp, Scheme, or Clojure? Would Mathematica itself be a better choice (I am not sure if it supports all the Lisp language constructs and such).
>
> What about Haskell?
>
> Any insights and guidance are appreciated.

---
Murray Eisenberg
murray@math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
University of Massachusetts 413 5 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street fax 413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305