Date: Jan 13, 2013 12:53 PM
Author: Robert Hansen
Subject: Year Round School

A push for year round school...

http://news.yahoo.com/longer-school-help-hurt-us-students-131056148.html

"Proponents argue that too much knowledge is lost while American kids wile away the summer months apart from their lessons. The National Summer Learning Association cites decades of research that shows students' test scores are higher in the same subjects at the beginning of the summer than at the end.

The research is very clear about that," said Charles Ballinger, executive director emeritus of the National Association for Year-Round School in San Diego. "The only ones who don't lose are the upper 10 to 15 percent of the student body. Those tend to be gifted, college-bound, they're natural learners who will learn wherever they are."

First off, I am not against more time in school for those that need it and can benefit by it. But it needs to be optional. Why not bring back summer school? In that model, a student could be told to attend if they were struggling, or attend if they or their parents felt it would help.

Also, we need options. The other countries we keep comparing ourselves to have half their kids going off on vocational career paths.

At least Ballinger realizes understands the notion of college bound.

Bob Hansen