Date: Jan 14, 2013 10:44 AM
Author: Kirk Weiler
Subject: Regents "Settles" on PARCC Frameworks for Tests

There has been a great deal of discussion on the listservs about whether NYSED will use the guidelines in Appendix A to design the June of 2014 CCSS aligned Regents exams or whether they would use the PARCC Content Frameworks.

In the link below if you go to page 18 where NYSED/engageNY has its typical implementation calendar, Footnote #5 states that the testing and curriculum for the new high school courses will be based on the PARCC Frameworks:

http://www.regents.nysed.gov/meetings/2012Meetings/December2012/AssessmentSlides.pdf

The exact wording of the footnote is:

"5. New York State will be using the configuration of standards within courses and the cluster emphases from the PARCC Mathematics Model Content Frameworks for test and curriculum module construction for grade 8 and high school. For information on the PARCC Model Content Frameworks, see http://www.parcconline.org/parcc-model-content-frameworks."

So, all of our debates about whether the (+) topics will be included or whether we should trust Appendix A or the PARCC Frameworks seems to have been settled in a footnote.

Major decision making by footnote. Unbelievable.

Of course, all of this is subject to change (as the engageny folks put on this schedule).

I've attached links in this post to 3 MS Word documents I created that distill the PARCC end-of-year CCSS assessment standards. Use as you see fit.