Date: Jan 15, 2013 11:06 PM
Author: Louis Talman
Subject: Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th<br> Grade?

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 14:02:39 -0700, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Jan 15, 2013, at 3:41 PM, Louis Talman wrote: That's a nice, if
> inadvertent, confession regarding your study of education, Bob.

> What?

> The only modification I would have made is to add one word, "harmless".
> Here, try this... "isn't this just the expected, unavoidable and
> harmless consequence of >people studying what they weren't meant to
> study, and then telling us of it?" What is your problem with it now? The
> word "meant"? I tried other words, like "prepared", >"interested",
> "available", "able". I think "meant" covers all contingencies, including
> not "meant" to study that particular treatment yet. The point is, the
> person is telling >you at the end, "I don't get it."

I don't know whether the amended statement applies to your study of
education or not. My suspicion is that it's nearly correct once you add
the word "harmless". After all, as has been pointed out, your "study"
affects primarily (only?) a few people---whose minds you will not change.

--Lou Talman
Metropolitan State University of Denver
<http://rowdy.msudenver.edu/~talmanl>