Date: Jan 15, 2013 11:50 PM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th<br> Grade?

Michael Paul Goldenberg (MPG) Jan 16, 2013 8:24 AM :

> At the risk of interrupting the speculation-fest
> about Susan Ohanian's thinking and intent, perhaps
> one of the fun seekers could have the decency to
> contact her and ask. It's not exactly hard to find
> her contact information on-line.
>
> Frankly, though, I do wonder about Richard Hake's
> decision to share an anecdote from a list that is not
> open to the public, with folks in this particular
> venue, given the predictable comments it has evoked.
> We now have a few of the usual snakes and vipers
> commenting on Susan Ohanian, a very bright person
> indeed. I think he has done her a serious disservice,
> particularly if he didn't request permission
> beforehand.

To me it appears that, from what Susan Ohanian claims to have accomplished (simply BREEZING through all the problems of the Courant calculus book despite NEVER having taken calculus!), she is MUCH more than merely "very bright".

I am one snake/viper who has commented. The message does not appear to have appeared yet, so I have re-sent it, with some modifications to the earlier one - before I saw this message of MPG's. (My modifications did not make the message any less 'snakish'/ 'viperish'). I would have sent it anyway. If it doesn't appear, I shall inquire with the Moderator as to why not.

I stand by that post (assuming it is published). I do not see ANY reason why I should, as MPG has suggested, "have the decency to contact Ms Susan Ohanian and ask". She, not I, made certain claims which, to me, appear untenable. Those claims were published.

How does it become my duty to ask her anything?

If she had shown a little respect and had not referred to the Courant classic as an "ugly calculus book" (words to that effect), I may not have responded quite so 'snakishly'/ 'viperishly'.

As to why Richard Hake might have published that little beaut of story, he should clarify that himself. Idle speculation: Perhaps he too was as offended as I have been.

GSC
(Snake/Viper-in-Chief)