Date: Jan 22, 2013 12:29 AM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Jan 22, 2013 7:02 AM:

> No, I was pointing out that this problem has
> redundancy in it and the odds of 18 clever students
> fouling it up all at once are the same as the odds of
> one clever student fouling up 18 such problems in a
> row. Very small.
>
> Bob Hansen

It's not a perfect analogy, for sure - but we did have about 50 million US citizens (which must have included several million very, VERY clever citizens) voting twice around for GW Bush, who had already been proven, not long after he entered his first term, to be extremely stupid indeed. Later, he even proved himself to be a war criminal.

This is just to point out that 'redundancies in societal systems' are extremely difficult (sometimes even impossible) to understand.

GSC
("Still Shoveling!")