Date: Jan 22, 2013 2:48 PM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: "Building an Innovation-Based Economy" (Brookings Institution Study)

The Brookings Institution has published an interesting* study titled "Smart Policy: Building an Innovation-Based Economy", (http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Research/Files/Papers/2013/1/15%20technology%20innovation%20policy/15%20technology%20innovation%20policy.pdf) which, amongst its major recommendations, suggests:
QUOTE (GSC's remarks follow)
+++
1. We [i.e., specifically YOU, the USA - as opposed to "WE - the whole wide world", though the world's not necessarily excluded; read appropriately in future - GSC's comment] we need better metrics for measuring worker productivity in the 21st century economy. Past approaches based on worker hours or total employees in relation to Gross Domestic Product (GDP) ignore the transformational nature of digital technology.

2. We should encourage entrepreneurship by expanding
Small Business Administration credit for start ups,
adding entrepreneurial skills to school curricula, and
making changes in immigration policy that encourage
entrepreneurs to come to America.

3. We need governments that learn to innovate and collaborate, and develop new approaches to service delivery, transparency, and participation. This includes placing more data online and employing data analytical tools, social media, mobile technology, and search results that improve decision-making.

4. We should strengthen infrastructure by investing in
broadband, data centers, and mobile cell towers, and
improving access to spectrum for wireless applications.
5. We should protect vital digital assets by updating the
Federal Information Security Management Act and
developing procedures for monitoring threats to critical
infrastructure.

5. We should protect vital digital assets by updating the
Federal Information Security Management Act and
developing procedures for monitoring threats to critical
infrastructure.

6. We need to improve knowledge transmission through
faster adoption of digital textbooks, more widespread use
of creative commons licenses for instructional materials
developed with taxpayer dollars, and policy changes that
speed education innovation.

7. We need to increase technology transfer and the commercialization of knowledge from universities and federal laboratories so that public and private investments translate into jobs and economic activity as well as better health, security, and well-being.

8. We should harmonize cross-border laws to promote global
innovation and freedom of expression.
+++ UNQUOTE
* GSC's remarks:
====
i. Though it is interesting, I personally have grave doubts about this study. It is (I claim) profoundly flawed because NOWHERE does it show just HOW you may go about doing all the ducky things it suggests you should.

ii. Further, the study has rarely explored WHY you should do the things it suggests you should. On account of this (in my opinion) deficiency: at some points, the Report seems to lack a defining moral or ethical basis.

iii. To me the following 'ideological critique' matters little; however, I thought I should in all fairness state it:

Haim describes the Brookings Institution as "left-leaning" - see, for instance: http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?forumID=206&threadID=2395588&messageID=7863517#7863517, where he has also provided, in contrast, his views on what he claims "responsible people think" on another matter, viz., 'multiculturalism' (alias 'multiculti').

iv. MUCH more important (in my view) than Haim's 'ideological critique': The Brookings Institute seriously needs to consider how it should visually design its reports, and try not to seek 'superficial, visual attractiveness at the cost of easily readable layouts': on account of this design feature of the Report in question, it is sometimes extremely difficult to access specific needed parts of it.

GSC
("Still Shoveling!")

Message was edited by: GS Chandy