Date: Jan 23, 2013 9:50 PM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer

Richard Strausz posted  Jan 24, 2013 2:44 AM( GSC's remarks follow):

> > On Jan 22, 2013, at 7:34 PM, Richard Strausz
> > <Richard.Strausz@farmington.k12.mi.us> wrote:
> >

> > > I'll ask her, Bob. Do you have any suggested
> > activities and/or assessments you recommend for
> > pre-algebra or algebra classes?

> > > Richard

> http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?forumID=206&thread
> > ID=2408668&messageID=7905217#7905217
> >
> > Also check out mathcounts.
> >
> > Bob Hansen

> Thanks for sharing the link. There are some good
> items there; I will pass them along.
>
> As to the methods of solution by the students, the
> teacher has been emphasizing writing. Students are
> required to submit their work along with an
> explanation of their thought processes. She didn't
> provide any assistance. I saw one student's reasoning
> and part of her work. She didn't do the work as
> economically as you did. She compared ARI and ARIEL
> to find out the sum of E and L, and generally
> narrowed things down until she could get to the value
> of single letters.
>
> I didn't see the work of unsuccessful workers.
>
> Richard
>
> Students are
> required to submit their work along with an
> explanation of their thought processes.

I don't know how clearly/ effectively 'pre-algebra students' are able to explain their thought processes - but that is, I believe, the heart of the matter. The working 'scratch sheets' that the teacher required would serve to give her a picture of those thought processes.

I believe the kind of effort that teacher is making should be recognized and applauded. Surely no member of any kind of 'mafia' would make that kind of effort for a student?

The work of all genuine teachers in shaping the minds and hearts of their charges should be much better recognised in society: we all owe our teachers debts of gratitude that can NEVER be discharged (and should never be forgotten)!

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy