Date: Jan 24, 2013 1:37 AM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: "Building an Innovation-Based Economy" (Brookings Institution Study)

Reference the Brookings Institution Study "Smart Policy: Building an Innovation-Based Economy" (http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Research/Files/Papers/2013/1/15%20technology%20innovation%20policy/15%20technology%20innovation%20policy.pdf)
and my posts commenting on it at:

[i) http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2430508;

ii) http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=8126929; and

iii) http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=8133884 ] -

the issue of "building an 'Innovation-Based Economy'" is actually, in one sense, far simpler than it may seem to be at first glance.

There are just a couple of quite simple things to do to accomplish such an economy, as briefly explained below:

Innovation in society is obviously completely based on the ideas that the people in society may have on the variety of issues that confront them. Therefore, the primary need is for:

A: A practical means to collect, and then easily to view and (continuingly) review all the ideas that people may have.

On viewing and reviewing the available ideas, the people in the society under consideration need:

B: A practical means to decide, amongst all the ideas available, which ideas would give the most 'economic leverage' in regard to the aim of "Building an Innovation-Based Economy". This has clearly to be done on a continuing basis.

Both 'A' and 'B' noted above are readily accomplished through application of a tool called the 'One Page Management System' (OPMS), information about which is available in the attachments to my message at:
http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2419536 .

It DOES take some (a very little) learning and some (a fair bit of) 'unlearning' to apply this tool to real-life issues.

For instance, the user must clearly understand the 'potential value' of his/her own ideas AND the 'potential value' of others' ideas relative to the issue under consideration.

It takes some doing to actually do the needed 'unlearning' so that one comes to understand the real value of ideas - one's own ideas and others' ideas. Our 'traditional educational systems' (which have schooled all our minds) have long taught us to ignore the value of ideas (our own as well others' ideas); it takes a while to 'unlearn' this non- constructive way of thinking - in fact it is actually a very destructive way of thinking.

For instance, for a very long while, Robert Hansen (RH) and a couple of others at Math-teach were fervently making the totally false claim - notwithstanding sizable evidence introduced - to the effect that the OPMS is merely a tool for "list-making" and it is therefore (or so they claimed) totally trivial.

I believe RH is STILL making this ridiculous claim! That his claim is totally false is easily seen by anyone who would examine the attachments to my message at http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2419536.

GSC
("Still Shoveling!")

Message was edited by: GS Chandy