Date: Jan 27, 2013 9:46 AM
Author: Jeff
Subject: Text Input Yields Different Type of Array

I'm building an application that allows someone to first create a department by entering the name of the department in an editable text box. Hit save and they are done. Then if the name names to be changed The app uses a different form but again you simply enter the name in a text box hot save and you are done. Here's the problem. When the name is first created, the array is listed as a char array. However, when the name is changed the array is labeled as a cell array. I've provided the code below. I fixed the issue by removing the curly brackets from the name change, but I don't understand why it is different.

Code to add Department or Change Name

department.Name(dptID) = {get(handles.departmentName, 'String')}