Date: Jan 29, 2013 12:15 AM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards

Further my post dated Jan 29, 2013 8:50 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=8183729 - mostly snipped):
> Domenico Rosa posted Jan 28, 2013 10:03 PM (GSC's
> remarks follow):

> > On Jan 25, 2013, Clyde Greeno @ MALEI wrote:
> >

> > > A strawman war!

<SNIP>

> May we hope to anticipate that such airing of these
> sound opinions would help, now or later, to resolve
> the underlying issues? If not, why not?
>
> How may we move to ensure that the many important
> issues thus brought to light (related to CCSS;
> Academic Standards; doorstoppers instead of useful
> aids to learning for students; public school
> education; education as a whole) - how to ensure that
> these issues would be actively resolved?
>
> If not today, then at least tomorrow or the day
> after?
>
> I keenly await your further opinions on these issues.

I observe that one quite vehement opinion (viz., "PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!") is nowadays not being voiced quite as vociferously as it used to be - but the underlying reason for this hiatus is NOT because the opinion has been rescinded or withdrawn in any way.

The opinion is still strongly held by some who are no longer amongst us - and this absence should not be seen as representing a victory for the other side.

GSC