Date: Jan 30, 2013 5:33 AM
Author: mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
Subject: Re: ZFC and God

On 30 Jan., 09:47, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:
> In article
> <4a768b6d-0d71-4e89-bf77-6b70d6e5e...@d11g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,
>

>  WM <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> > On 30 Jan., 02:17, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:
> > > In article
> > > <6a9608a5-ec9c-4e81-af59-ae4caa19b...@h2g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,

> > > But does every real accessible real have a decimal expansion, at least
> > > in theory?

> > No.
>
> > > Does every rational have a decimal expansion?
>
> > No. For instance 1/9 = 0.111... has no decimal expansion
>
> You just gave it one.

No. I know, it is very unfamiliar, but it is fact: "0.111..." is not a
decimal expansion. For instance, because decimal expansions by
definition have only one point. 0.111... is a finite definition of 1/9
like 1/9 is itself. It formulates a task, namely to find the n-th
digit of the decimal expansion. This task can be accomplished for
every n, but not for all.

Regards, WM