Date: Jan 31, 2013 10:43 AM
Author: Steven
Subject: How to make a hole in a triangulation (TriRep)

Hi,

I'm just looking for some pointers, how to go about this problem. Given a closed triangulation (a sphere in the simplest case), and a number of points on the surface of that triangulation which trace the outline of a circle (or any polygon say), how would you go about removing all the triangles within the polygon from the triangulation?

My first idea is to consider the polygon as the base of an irregular polygonal prism, with the long axis of the prism therefore extending both into and out of the sphere, then find all the points within that sphere, and finally remove any triangle from the triangulation referencing those points.

Is this the best way to go about this problem though?

Thank you
Steven