Date: Feb 3, 2013 10:09 AM
Author: Aatu Koskensilta
Subject: Re: Godels theorems end in paradox

"christian.bau" <christian.bau@cbau.wanadoo.co.uk> writes:

> You'd have to translate what you state into a mathematical formula.
> That's what Gödel did; he translated "there is a mathematical proof
> for Theorem X" into a mathematical formula. No mathematical formula,
> no Gödel theorem, no paradox. Gödel's theorem applies to mathematics,
> not to handwaving arguments.

As an account of the first incompleteness theorem this is of course a
huge improvement over Australia's leading erotic poet's attempt, but
taken literally -- and when it comes to these matters we should strive
to say things that are, literally speaking, true and accurate -- it is
more or less nonsense nevertheless.

--
Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.koskensilta@uta.fi)

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen"