Date: Feb 4, 2013 2:03 AM
Author: Haim
Subject: Re: Economist Kern Alexander Explains the Problem with School Choice

GS Chandy Posted: Feb 3, 2013 11:58 PM

>I believe the above indicates that Professor Alexander
>probably has considerably more right to describe himself
>as an "economist" than has Haim to pronounce on his
>economics or lack thereof.

My thanks to GS Chandy for insisting I clarify my remark.

Whether or not Kern Alexander is an economist, I cannot say. What does seem clear is that Professor Alexander holds no degree in economics and has never published a paper in an economics journal. Furthermore, whatever right Professor Alexander has to call himself an economist, he appears never to have done so.

The only person, in this forum, who seems to think Kern Alexander an economist is Richard Hake. And, it appears, the only reason Hake thinks Alexander an economist is because Diane Ravitch calls him an economist.

The only reason I have been able to discover, so far, for why Ravitch calls Alexander an economist is because of one article, that Alexander published, in which Alexander refers to some concepts of economics. By this logic, every undergraduate student who has ever written a paper that referred to ideas from economics is, ipso facto, an economist.

The only other possible explanation I can imagine, for why Ravitch calls Alexander an economist, is that Ravitch has confused this man, http://faculty.education.illinois.edu/alexandr/
the writer of the article Ravitch cites, with this man,
http://www.rwi.uzh.ch/lehreforschung/alphabetisch/alexander/person_en.html
The latter Kern Alexander, who did not write the article Ravitch cites, holds a master's degree in economics.

Haim