Date: Feb 5, 2013 6:26 AM
Author: Frederick Williams
Subject: Re: Which naturals better?

JT wrote:

> On 4 Feb, 11:02, Frederick Williams <freddywilli...@btinternet.com>
> wrote:

> > JT wrote:
> >

> > > Building new natural numbers without zero using NyaN, in any base,
> > > [...]

> > You seem to confuse numbers and digits. Both of these are true:
> > There is a number zero.
> > Numbers can be symbolized without the digit zero.

> No there is no zero in my list of naturals, in my list is each natural
> number a discrete ***items***, ***entity*** with a magnitude.

Fairy snuff. It used to be common to define the natural numbers as
these: 1, 2, 3, ... Now 0, 1, 2, 3, ... is more common. If you prefer
the older definition I doubt that people will mind.

Zero is quite useful even if you don't want to call it a natural
number. For example, one may have no money in one's bank account. How
many pennies (cents, etc) is that? Zero.