Date: Feb 8, 2013 10:29 PM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards

Responding to Wayne Bishop dt. Feb 8, 2013 2:54 AM  (pasted in full below my signature for ready reference), one can only say:

Thank you, Massa, fum all us pickaninnies, for showing us your way to wisdom!

What else can we say?

[But anyone who may wish to believe that even pickaninnies have a right to live and work on their own terms - thinking clearly WITHOUT magic pills and potions; developing themselves from the very core - should find quite useful the tools for thought described in the attachments to my post heading the thread "Democracy - how to achieve it?" - see http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2419536 ].

GSC
("Still Shoveling!")

Also sprach Wayne Bishop Feb 8, 2013 2:54 AM:
(Grateful acknowledgement below)

>CCSSI's self-assessment is entirely analogous to "I have faith, you are superstitious, and he is a member of a cult". UCLA's CRESST has put out some ridiculous "data based" studies in support of its deeply held convictions.

>Good advice regarding any new reform efforts is to start with their assessments. If new ones are prepared and they are in cahoots - often funded by exactly the same people - were funding reform efforts, expect the obvious or, if you like, bet that the instant replay will have a same result again. Lots of claims of improved performance objectively demonstrated to be even worse. Once again, "Dance with the guy what brung ya"; use the ITBS. They are cheap, effective, and consistent over time. What a deal.

>Wayne

>Consorting with consortia
>Common Core sets the standards, and two consortia, PARCC and SBAC, will write and grade the tests that assess whether those standards were attained. It?s a very cosy, profitable arrangement where the heaviest burdens and risks fall on the educators.

>UCLA?s National Center for Research on Evaluation, Standards, and Student Testing (CRESST) has published this month a report called On the Road to Assessing Deeper Learning: The Status of Smarter Balanced and PARCC Assessment Consortia.

>The report gives a general stamp of imprimatur to ongoing progress (what did you honestly expect?) cloaked in the usual hedged language:

> Study results indicate that PARCC and Smarter >Balanced summative assessments are likely to represent important goals for deeper learning, particularly those related to mastering and being able to apply core academic content and cognitive strategies related to complex thinking, communication, and problem solving.

>Any challenges in implementation, the report foresees, will not be substantive but rather ``technical, fiscal, and political??.

>The CRESST report sounds one note of caution: ``Absent strong representation in the new assessments, students' deeper learning likely will be compromised.?? Therein lies the rub: will the ``assessments call for deeper learning and reflect 21st century competencies??? (CRESST report, p.5)

>As we at ccssimath.blogspot.com are also interested in the assessments being developed by PARCC and SBAC, we thought we?d follow CRESST?s lead and release our own status report.

(Grateful acknowledgement to THE ORIGINAL SUPERMAN, Friedrich Nietsche, "Also sprach Zarathustra: Ein Buch für Alle und Keinen" - loosely translated as: "Thus Spake Zarathustra: A Book for Everyone and No One", in which he expounded his glorious theory of the 'Master Race', the 'Ubermenschen').