Date: Feb 9, 2013 12:43 AM
Author: Eduardo MAM Mendes
Subject: Using a notebook - how to add a caption and ...

Hello

I have been using notebooks to write reports for a while. Although I am getting by (the package Presentations by David Park has been of great help), I still have some points that I am not sure how to handle. Ok, here they are:

a) Insert-> Picture-> From file inserts the jpg as advertised however I did not figure out how to add a text box that works as a caption just below the figure in the same cell. Of course the cell cannot be evaluated, so I have turn off that option. If there is a way to add the caption, I wonder whether the whole cell - picture + caption - could be centered justified.

b) Style - Text - How to create a dynamic cell, that is, suppose I have a text cell as follows

After some calculation the value of the variable omega is 3.4.

Instead of 3.4, I wonder whether it could be the actual calculated value of omega. If omega changes I do not need to change the text cell to update its value.

One thing that I've noticed is that one has to keep the cell size to a minimum, otherwise lots of almost blank pages come out of the printer.

Any tips and help will be most appreciated.

Many thanks

Ed