Date: Feb 10, 2013 3:35 AM
Author: Murray Eisenberg
Subject: Re: Using a notebook - how to add a caption and ...

Re your (a), putting a caption under an inserted picture:

Here's one way. Before or after you insert the image, assign it to a name, say,

pic = . . . ;

For example, from www.wolfram.com, I selected the "spiky" with the '9' on it and pasted it into an Input cell after "pic =" and evaluated the cell.

Next, evaluate a new cell:

Column[{pic, "Mathematica 9 is here"}]

You may use a Style in the 2nd element of that list to change the font. And various options of Column to adjust the appearance.

Actually, there's no need for the separate step of assigning the image to a name; you can directly paste the image into the first position of the list argument of Column.

On Feb 9, 2013, at 12:46 AM, Eduardo MAM Mendes <emammendes@me.com> wrote:

> I have been using notebooks to write reports for a while. Although I am getting by (the package Presentations by David Park has been of great help), I still have some points that I am not sure how to handle. Ok, here they are:
>
> a) Insert-> Picture-> From file inserts the jpg as advertised however I did not figure out how to add a text box that works as a caption just below the figure in the same cell. Of course the cell cannot be evaluated, so I have turn off that option. If there is a way to add the caption, I wonder whether the whole cell - picture + caption - could be centered justified.

---
Murray Eisenberg murray@math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
University of Massachusetts 413 545-2838 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street fax 413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305