Date: Feb 10, 2013 2:31 PM
Author: Zaljohar@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Sets as Memory traces.

On Feb 8, 1:02 pm, Zuhair <zaljo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> > > in' or 'carved in'.

> > > A memory trace is supposed to be a record of objects in block status.
> > > So for example suppose that an rock was immersed in some mud at moment
> > > t1 and thus left its print on that piece of mud, then after a while
> > > that rock was broken into two smaller parts, and one part also fell
> > > down on another part of the mud and made another print on that piece
> > > of mud, so suppose that mud remained like that for years, now this
> > > piece of mud have the prints of the whole rock at solid status and
> > > also of a part of that rock at solid status, this piece of mud would
> > > be considered as a 'memory trace'.

> > > Now we would coin another interpretation of 'set' as a 'memory trace'.
> > > Membership would be of objects in solid status carved in the memory
> > > trace.

> > > so x carved in y  or x memorized in y is taken to mean that x is a
> > > solid block at some moment t and memorized as such in y.

> > > So we have the axiom.
>
> > > x M y -> Exist t. x is solid at t.
>
> > Even more appropriate is to stipulate 'carved in' as a three place
> > relation symbol, so Cv(x,y,t) would mean x is carved in y at moment t.

> > Now we can 'define' a binary relation M standing for 'memorized in'
> > as:

> > x M y <-> Exist t. x is solid at t & Cv(x,y,t)
>
> > here of course what is meant by x M y is: x memorized as a solid
> > object in y. And of course we can interpret set membership by the
> > relation M defined above, and of course sets would be memory traces.

> > Zuhair
>
> > > So membership can be interpreted as this memorizing relation and sets
> > > can be interpreted as 'memory traces'

> > > It is natural to assume identity of memory traces after what is
> > > memorized in them.

> > > It needs to be stressed that memory traces are NOT the wholes of what
> > > is memorized in them! since the whole of an apple and a half of it is
> > > the apple itself and it is not different from the whole of three
> > > thirds of it, but the memory traces of those are different!

> > > However if an object do not change its solid status over time, i.e. if
> > > we have the following property:

> > > for all t. x is solid at t
>
> > > then wholes (i.e. totalities) of such objects can be taken to be
> > > memory traces of them since time is not having any differential effect
> > > on those kinds of objects.

> > > So all in all, sets here can be interpreted as memory traces and set
> > > membership as memorizing objects in solid block status.

> > > Zuhair
>
> If we take the fossil example as a case of memory trace, then what is
> imprinted in the fossil is the image of the memorized object not the
> object itself. This gives me the idea of memory traces being of images
> of memorized object as it occurs actually normally everyday in our
> minds. We need to stipulate that an image preserves the contact status
> of the imaged. However it is also plausible to state that all images

In reality what is plausible is to state that all images of objects in
solid status
are disjoint.

Also it is desirable to have a unique image of an object at solid
status.

To make the formal workup we need to introduce the primitive three
place
relation symbol Img(x',x,t) to signify x' is the image of x at moment
t.

Now the memorizing relation M would be defined as:

x M y iff Exist x',t. x is solid at t & Img(x',x,t) & x' Part of y.

Of course we need y to be a whole of images of objects at solid status
and this what memory trace would mean.

Anyhow this needs further workup to be completed.

So the images of an apple and its half at another moment