Date: Feb 11, 2013 9:52 PM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards

Kirby Urner posted  Feb 12, 2013 1:10 AM:
<snip>

> I just signed a petition to keep the Youth Pass
> alive.
>
> Note my comment suggests a mathematical model wherein
> making bus service more expensive to students will
> motivate more car use, by themselves and/or their
> guardians. We will clog the roads with more cars and
> increase the wear and tear on our environment by
> adopting a short term myopic response to subsidies.
> We think we're being "fiscally responsible" in
> discouraging the young from habituating themselves to
> bus use, whereas we're actually just depriving youth of
> a freedom. I don't wonder at talk of a walkout. Home
> schooling could be looking a lot better too. PPS
> better have a plan in place.

<snip>
Why not a combination of effective distance learning combined with home schooling? I understand there are various versions of 'distance learning software' available, several of which are said to be pretty effective. (I've not checked out any of these myself, though I was given a brief exposure to one version a couple of months ago: have such solutions been checked out to any adequate extent?).

Given the multi-dimensional, multi-layered disasters that all our policies on exploitation of energy resources have been, the above should at least provide some breathing space.

Yes, I've seen the argument that the US's energy problems are more or less resolved by reason of 'fracking' shale oil, etc - but such resolutions are only putting off the day when we start our 'slide into the abyss' (if it has not started already).

Of course, at a yet more basic level, there IS the more fundamental need to develop an effective 'learning+teaching' model - and this is not being addressed at all thus far.

It strikes me that we (i.e. human beings, as a species) are much like the fabled lemmings (of Norway?) in many respects, though we do not realize this at all, of course.

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy