Date: Feb 12, 2013 1:12 PM
Author: Michael Stemper
Subject: Re: infinity can't exist

In article <13c1e093-ab86-45e6-9417-7526eb422a08@googlegroups.com>, Craig Feinstein <cafeinst@msn.com> writes:

>Let's say I have a drawer of an infinite number of identical socks

>Contents of drawer at time 0 =3D (Contents of drawer at time 1) plus (sock =
>taken out of drawer).
>
>Subtracting the equations, we get
>
>Nothing =3D sock taken out of drawer.
>
>This is false, so infinity cannot exist.=20
>
>How does modern mathematics resolve this paradox?

Modern mathematics does not claim that an infinite number of socks can
exist, and neither does modern physics.

Although physics does not allow an infinite number of socks, it is easy
to see that if a very large number of socks was brought together, they would
collapse into a singularity. Your attempt to remove one of them would cause
you to pass through the Sock Event Horizon, at which time you would no longer
be able to remove any of them.

--
Michael F. Stemper
#include <Standard_Disclaimer>