Date: Feb 12, 2013 11:31 PM
Author: bill wickes
Subject: RE:

Do most schools let the kids take the ti 84s home    BIll

From: Evelyne Stalzer
Sent by: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Date: 01/28/2013 06:30PM

We do not have enough calculators to do this. Instead, we give each teacher
a class set (or almost a class set) of calculators. They are handed out in
the beginning of class (if needed) and collected again before the end of
class. Depending on the student population and on the teacher's procedures,
we do lose some calculators this way every year. I almost think we would
lose fewer if we signed them out to students for the year, but alas t hat is
not an option for us.

Evelyne Stalzer

-----------------

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Frantel, Phyllis <PFRANTEL@mwcsd.org>
wrote:

For the last several years, we have assigned calculators to our Alg 2/Trig
classes like a textbook. They are responsible for it for the year, and turn
it in at the end of their regents exam. If they lose it, they have to pay
for it. We are considering trying this with all of our classes next year,
i.e. adding alg and geometry to the loaning process. Do any other schools
do this? Has it been successful? We are worried that the younger students
won't be as responsible, and lose them. Please let us know if you have
tried this and how it worked out for you! Or, do you require your students
to buy their own graphing calculator in their freshman year?

Thanks,

Phyllis Frantel

_____

Spam