Date: Feb 13, 2013 7:05 PM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered

Joe Niederberger posted  Feb 13, 2013 8:56 PM:

> I think the remark (which I ascribe, perhaps
> flippantly
> and wrongly to ultra-finitists) "How many more?"
> deserves some consideration. I hope its
> uncontroversial that humans will only ever have a
> finite stockpile of "discovered" primes in their
> arsenal. So the next question is can we figure out an
> estimate of where the boundary (on magnitude, which I
> think also gives an estimate of total number of)
> might be? Or even give a very loose upper bound with
> a convincing argument?

The questions are interesting, but - in my opinion - may not be possible to answer in any meaningful way. At most we can only ask a further question or two, such as:

Given some 'possible upper bound prime':

Could it be tested out in any finite period of time?

> Seems like it may be possible.

Any thoughts on just how it may be possible??

GSC