Date: Feb 14, 2013 5:15 PM
Author: Virgil
Subject: Re: Matheology � 222 Back to the roots

In article
<5a4a908d-0b4d-4270-abc1-3a34e80dc0a2@c10g2000vby.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 14 Feb., 22:02, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:
> > In article
> > <8eb0782b-60e7-4128-a03a-d1562cf4c...@g16g2000vbf.googlegroups.com>,
> >

> >  WM <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> > > Remember, there are only finite initial segments.
> >
> > But infinitely many of them!

> Do you miss one of them in all lines of the list? Or is each one in
> infinitely many lines? So you can choose one of these infinitely many
> lines in order to get FIS(n) of d.

> > > The list contains every finite initial segment of d.
> > > Do you agree?

> > Irrelevant

> In fact, it is irrelevant whether you agree.

Until you provide the list and the d it is irrelevant whether anyone
agrees.

> > > Every finite initial segment is finite.
> > > Do you agree?

> > Irrelevant

> Please note, I did not ask you.
>

> > > What do you conclude?
> >
> > That for every finite line d is longer than that line

> You think that d in actually infinite.

All I said was that it is longer than any finite line.

If you claim otherwise you are claiming it to be no longer than some
finite line, which makes it also a finite line.

> It is not. It stretches from
> d_1 to the d_n of your choice.

And beyond!

If it is not longer than some finite line of one's choice, then, since
it is already a line, it is a finite line.

> And exactly the same is in infinitely
> many lines. Of course you can choose whatever n you like (because that
> is the meaning of potentially infinite: you can choose whatever n you
> like).

And d must be longer than any n one chooses, or that one CAN choose, as
otherwise it is finite.