Date: Feb 15, 2013 12:48 PM
Author: Wayne Bishop
Subject: Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered

At 08:07 AM 2/15/2013, Joe Niederberger wrote:
>G S Chandy says:
> > Could you possibly guide me to a proof of Th. 2?
>
>It was just Wayne's joke, unfortunately loses its punch if if needs
>explained. However, at any point in time you can just look up
>whatever the largest "known" prime is at the moment. It is usually
>Mersenne (2**p - 1), and may be for a long time to come.

Thanks, Joe. It was true long before so much computer power was
available because of some specialized tests for primality that I've
never bothered to take a look at. I know even less about the GIMPS
project but my guess is that, because of such tests, the algorithms
involved don't even look at anything else. Does anyone out there know?

Wayne