Date: Feb 15, 2013 12:48 PM
Author: Wayne Bishop
Subject: Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered

At 08:07 AM 2/15/2013, Joe Niederberger wrote:
>G S Chandy says:
> > Could you possibly guide me to a proof of Th. 2?
>It was just Wayne's joke, unfortunately loses its punch if if needs
>explained. However, at any point in time you can just look up
>whatever the largest "known" prime is at the moment. It is usually
>Mersenne (2**p - 1), and may be for a long time to come.

Thanks, Joe. It was true long before so much computer power was
available because of some specialized tests for primality that I've
never bothered to take a look at. I know even less about the GIMPS
project but my guess is that, because of such tests, the algorithms
involved don't even look at anything else. Does anyone out there know?