Date: Feb 16, 2013 1:42 AM
Author: David Bernier
Subject: Bernoulli numbers and sqrt(1)+sqrt(2)+sqrt(3) + ... sqrt(1000)

The Bernoulli numbers can be used to compute for example
1^10 + 2^10 + ... + 1000^10 .

Jakob Bernoulli wrote around 1700-1713 that he had computed
the sum of the 10th powers of the integers 1 through 1000,
with the result:
91409924241424243424241924242500

in less than "one half of a quarter hour" ...

Suppose we change the exponent from 10 to 1/2, so the sum
is then:
sqrt(1) + sqrt(2) + ... sqrt(1000).

Or, more generally,
sqrt(1) + sqrt(2) + ... sqrt(N) , N some largish positive
integer.

Can Bernoulli numbers or some generalization be used
to compute that efficiently and accurately?

My first thought would be that the Euler-MacLaurin
summation method might be applicable.

Above, if k^a is the k'th term, a = 1/2 .
There's also a= -1 that leads to partial sums of
the harmonic series.

David Bernier

--
dracut:/# lvm vgcfgrestore
File descriptor 9 (/.console_lock) leaked on lvm invocation. Parent PID