Date: Feb 16, 2013 8:37 AM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered

Joe Niederberger posted Feb 15, 2013 9:37 PM:
> G S Chandy says:
> > Could you possibly guide me to a proof of Th. 2?
>
> It was just Wayne's joke, unfortunately loses its
> punch if if needs explained.

Thanks, Joe. I feel adequately chastened. Indeed, it has lost punch. Unless it was a poor joke to begin with. Sorry about that, Wayne.

Wayne: :) :) Trust you're happy now?

>However, at any point in
> time you can just look up whatever the largest
> "known" prime is at the moment. It is usually
> Mersenne (2**p - 1), and may be for a long time to
> come.

It will be indeed, since we have got to 47 million digits - the GIMPS project itself would most likely take some time to get to the next one (whether it be Mersenne or anything else).

GSC