Date: Feb 17, 2013 12:47 PM
Author: gsspradlin@yahoo.com
Subject: numerically integrating a function of 3 variables with respect to 2 of them

Matlab people:

I have spent a lot of time Googling this question and I haven't found an answer. I apologize if it has been answered elsewhere. The actual m-files I'm using are on a remote server and I don't know how to upload them here. But if someone knows the answer it should not be necessary.

I have a function H of 3 variables defined in an m-file. The function uses algebraic functions and the heaviside function. The function works. I am trying to integrate H(r0,r1,sigma) as (r0,r1) ranges over a square. I can't just use dblquad because H is a function of 3 variables. So I wrote an m-file containing the following:

function out = I2(sigma,Rmax)
%second (double) integral
%
function out1 = Hsigma(r0,r1)
out1 = H(r0,r1,sigma);
end
out = dblquad(Hsigma,1,Rmax,1,Rmax);
%
end

I get a warning about the scope of sigma spanning multiple functions. When I try to use I2, I get the following error:

>> I2(2,2)
Error using I2/Hsigma (line 6)
Not enough input arguments.

Error in I2 (line 10)
out = dblquad(Hsigma,1,Rmax,1,Rmax);

NOTE: line 6 is "out1 = H(r0,r1,sigma); ".

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Greg