Date: Feb 21, 2013 5:46 AM
Author: Dana DeLouis
Subject: Re: Obtaining Random LIne from A file

>   Block[{i = RandomInteger[{1, n}], str = OpenRead[file], res},
> Skip[str, "String", i];
> res = Read[str, Expression];

Hi. I can't test this, but does this command work?

(* Set pointer to line 100 *)

SetStreamPosition[str, 100]

I'm on a Mac, and working with file locations is a little difficult for me.
I seem to remember testing this with Windows a long time ago, but I most likely am wrong.

Good Luck. :>)

HTH :>)
Dana DeLouis
Mac & Mathematica 9