Date: Feb 24, 2013 1:48 PM
Author: garabik-news-2005-05@kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk
Subject: Re: Problems with Infinity?

In rec.arts.sf.written William Elliot <marsh@panix.com> wrote:

> Cantor did not deal with geometric infinity.
> His infinities are the cardinalities of sets.

Or with infinite ordinals, which is not quite the same sort of infinity.
Are there any (good) SFnal stories concerning cardinal(ities),
transfinite induction, supertasks, actual infinities and other esoteric
phenomena?

I am aware of White Light by Rudy Rucker, The Infinite Assassin by Greg
Egan and Luminous by the same author. However, they barely touch the
cardinality of c.

As Kronecker put it, "God made natural numbers; all else is the work of
man", therefore denying the existence of higher cardinals (or even
finitism) is a valid philosophical approach - after all, you can get
many interesting results by negating the axiom of infinity...

| Radovan GarabĂ­k http://kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk/~garabik/ |
| __..--^^^--..__ garabik @ kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk |