Date: Feb 25, 2013 9:08 PM
Author: Virgil
Subject: Re: Matheology � 222 Back to the roots

In article
<5576043b-977f-4bd0-a2ac-3717ca1b4a20@d11g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 25 Feb., 13:46, William Hughes <wpihug...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > No? The numbers of those lines that contain what, according to your
> > > assertion, cannot be contained in one line, are unknowable

> > [The term is "unfindable"]

> Wrong. You can easily define what line is requires, bamely the first
> line of your asserted set of infinitely many lines that are necessary
> to contain more than one line can contain.
>
> You cannot know that first line, because every line can be proven to
> be *not* such a line.

In a world more sane than WMytheology, if every line is not a last line,
there is no last line.

> Your assertion can be proven wrong for *every* line. But you believe
> that it is right for infinitely many? Mathematics looks different!

What is wrong for individuals can be right for a set of those
individuals.

> > Nonsense.  The "numbers of those lines that contain what, according to
> > your
> > assertion, cannot be contained in one line" is a set of numbers,
> > no single number has this property.

> I know that every number n has the property that the line l_n contains
> all that its predecessors contain. Note, these n are numbers.

Find us one that contains all that its successors do.

> > The set is the potentially
> > infinite set {1,2,3,...}.  All of these are "findable".  I do not use
> > and am not interested in "unfindable" natural numbers.

> Once upon a time you have been asserting that more than one line are
> necessary to contain all that can be contained of d.

If, as in your examples, each line, l, is a FIS of d, but not all of d,
then no one line can contain what the next line contains, and every next
line is necessary to get all of d.

> This collection
> of lines may be a set - it does not matter. But every set of lines of
> L has a first element. You cannot name the first element l_n, you
> cannot name the n. And that is a number.

And that is all irrelevant to the fact that you cannot have it all when
you insist on stopping before getting it all.

WM's world does not allow induction as a method of proof, because it
always requires stopping after a finite number of steps.