Date: Feb 27, 2013 3:40 PM
Author: Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
Subject: Re: Problems with Infinity?

In <1361901259@sheol.org>, on 02/26/2013
at 05:54 PM, throopw@sheol.org (Wayne Throop) said:

> For at least somewhat less-wonky depictions of time travel, see
> "By His Bootstraps", possibly "The Door into Summer", possibly
> 'The Man Who Folded Himself",

The first two, along with :All You Zombies", are consistent and take
what I call the space-time view of time travel; if you travel into the
past, that's part of your history and you will do whatever history
records that you did. Attempts to change that are also part of your
history.

That theme occurs in Greek Mythology: "a tragic end for a loyal son
who loved his mother."

The stories in which the actions of a time traveller spin off another
branch of the Universe are on shakier grounds; ask me about them when
we have a viable Quantum Gravity.

Some of the others that you mention, e.g., clocks running
inconsistently, are just carelessness or perhaps C2H5OH. They play the
Devil with my willing suspension of disbelief.

reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org