Date: Feb 27, 2013 3:29 PM
Author: Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
Subject: Re: Problems with Infinity?

In <20130226a@crcomp.net>, on 02/26/2013
at 11:32 AM, Don Kuenz <garbage@crcomp.net> said:

>It's a fact that the best and brightest Germans used the
>up-against-the-wall technique during WWII.

"Once it goes up who cares where it comes down. That's not my
department"

>Throw Complex Variables up against the wall. Does that stick? No.
>The infinity used by Complex Variables is just the same old infinity
> used everywhere else.

There is no "the same old infinity used everywhere else."

>In other words, the infinity that occurs at the ends of a line in
>1-dimensional space

There is no "the infinity that occurs at the ends of a line in
1-dimensional space" The one point compactification of the reals is
different from the two point compactification, and oo, +oo and -oo are
different from each other.

reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org