Date: Feb 28, 2013 1:23 AM
Author: Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
Subject: Re: Problems with Infinity?

In <>, on 02/27/2013
at 11:20 PM, Don Kuenz <> said:

>Let S(z) be a Moebius transformation. My old textbook suggests
>choosing S(oo) so that S(z) has a limit at oo. That's about the
>only role for infinity in a Moebius transformation.

Well, oo has the same role as any other point on the Riemann Sphere
<> C+; in a Moebus

f(z) = \frac{a z + b}{c z + d}

f(-d/c) = oo

IMHO the easiest way to visualize it is to consider the Riemann Sphere
as a complex manifold with two co├Ârdinate neighborhoods: C and C+\{0}.
From this perspective there's nothing special about either 0 or oo.

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, SysProg and JOAT <>

reply to