Date: Feb 28, 2013 11:57 PM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: Please help me with the following question

Responding to the first sentence of Professor Wayne Bishop's rejoinder to James Elander:
QUOTE
> Elander's response represents (one of) the problems
> associated with
> the New New Math focus on mathematics through
> applications rather
> than traditional (cookbook if you like) applications
> of mathematics
> having been developed (lots more of mixed variety are
> usually needed
> - - see Singapore or Saxon) with the emphasis on the
> general
> applicability of the mathematics having been
> presented.

UNQUOTE
(The whole of Wayne Bishop's post is pasted below my signature, for ready reference).

I do gather that Professor Bishop disapproves of James Elander's approach, but that's about it.

After having struggled with (and having failed to understand) that astounding first sentence quoted above, I decided it would be more profitable for me to try to re-read "Finnegan's Wake", by James Joyce, as representing something more readily accessible, and certainly more enjoyable. (I have not tried to read anything beyond that first sentence).

Suggestion: BEFORE we do any math (or criticisms of math approaches), we should try to learn to write clearly and understandably.

GSC
Wayne Bishop posted Feb 27, 2013 12:51 PM:

Message was edited by: GS Chandy