Date: Mar 2, 2013 3:44 AM
Author: jmmv73@gmail.com
Subject: kernel crash with predictive interface and SparseArray

Hi there,

I tried the following line (which is not a big array) to check the options
that the predictive interface will give:

IdentityMatrix[100000, SparseArray]

...(without the semicolon and the "Suggestion bar" activated)... and the
kernel crashed.

But, if you deactivate the "Suggestion Bar" everything goes in the right way.

I think the problem has to do with the "predictive interface" that tries to
generate the normal form of the matrix, so it uses a lot of memory (producing
a kernel crash).

My machine is a 4Gb Windows 7 Pro notebook with an Intel i5.

Has anyone had the same problem with SparseArray? or have any
explanation to what actually happens?

Many thanks in advance for any help or advice with this issue.

best regards,

Jose M. Martinez
Ph.D. Student
Department of Electronic Engineering
Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria
Valparaiso, Chile