Date: Mar 3, 2013 6:42 PM
Author: Richard Hake
Subject: The Contentious Common Core Controversy

Some subscribers to MathEdCC might be interested in a recent post
"The Contentious Common Core Controversy" [Hake (2013)]. The
abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: The Common Core State Standards (CCSS)
<> have engendered considerable
controversy - see e.g., "Resistance to Common Core standards growing"
[Strauss (2013)] at <>. Stimulated by Diane
Ravitch's (2013) admonition at <> "to think
critically about the standards," I searched Google for "Common Core
State Standards" to obtain 3,010,000 hits at <>
on 03 March 2013 10:15-0800. Careful consideration of all those leads
me to suggest the following sixteen as especially valuable:

1. "Eight problems with Common Core Standards" [Brady (2012)] at

2. "Engineering Good Math Tests"[Burkhardt (2012)] at <>;

3. "How Common Core will change testing in schools" [Krashen (2012)]
at <>;

4. "Debunking the Case for National Standards: One-Size-Fits-All
Mandates and Their Dangers" [Kohn (2010)] at <>;

5. "Do young kids need to learn a lot of facts?" [Miller &
Carlsson-Paige (2013)] at <>.

6. "Whoo-Hoo! Occupy the Schools" [Ohanian (2013)] at <>;

7. "Why I Cannot Support the Common Core Standards" [Ravitch (2013)] at

8. "Do We Need a Common Core?" [Tampio (2012)] at <>.

9. "Creating a Comprehensive System for Evaluating and Supporting
Effective Teaching" [Darling-Hammond et al. (2012)] at

10. "Standards Worth Attaining" Finn (2012) at <>;

11. "A Common Core Standards defense" [Hirsch (2013)] at

12. "What English classes should look like in Common Core era" [Jago (2013)] at

13. "International Lessons About National Standards" [Schmidt,
Houang, & Shakrani (2009)] at <>.

14. "Seizing the Moment for Mathematics" [Schmidt (2012)] at

15. "On Naked Standards - And Free Curriculum" Tucker (2012) at

16. "The Case for National Standards" [Weingarten (2009)] at

For an earlier review of the pros and cons of the Common Core
Standards see "National Education Standards for the United States?"
[Hake (2009)] at <>. In a subsequent post I shall
discuss the "Next Generation Science Standards" (NGSS)
<> and their relationship to the "Common Core
State Standards."

To access the complete 38 kB post please click on <>.

Links to Articles: <>
Links to Socratic Dialogue Inducing (SDI) Labs: <>
Academia: <>
Blog: <>
GooglePlus: <>
Google Scholar <>
Twitter: <>
Facebook: <>

"I have come to the conclusion that the Common Core standards effort
is fundamentally flawed by the process with which they have been
foisted upon the nation. . . . . They were developed by an
organization called Achieve and the National Governors Association
both of which were generously funded by the Gates Foundation. . . . .
Their creation was neither grassroots nor did it emanate from the
states. . . . . . it was well understood by states that they would
not be eligible for Race to the Top funding unless they adopted the
Common Core standards. . . . . "
- Diane Ravitch (2013) at <>

"The countries that consistently outperform the United States on
international assessments all have national standards, with core
curriculum, assessments and time for professional development for
teachers based on those standards. . . . . Should fate, as determined
by a student's Zip code, dictate how much algebra he or she is
taught? . . . . Education is a local issue, but there is a body of
knowledge about what children should know and be able to do that
should guide decisions about curriculum and testing."
- Randi Weingarten (2009), president of the American Federation of
Teachers at <>.

"So much orchestrated attention is being showered on the Common Core
Standards, the main reason for poor student performance is being
ignored - a level of childhood poverty the consequences of which no
amount of schooling can effectively counter."
- Marion Brady (2012) at <>.

REFERENCES [URL shortened by and accessed on 03 March 2013.]
Hake, R.R. 2013. " The Contentious Common Core Controversy," online
on the OPEN! AERA-H archives at <>. Post of 3 Mar
2013 11:01:22 to AERA-H and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the
complete post are being transmitted to several discussion lists and
are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <> with a
provision for comments.