Date: Mar 5, 2013 6:28 PM
Author: Richard Hake
Subject: The Overriding Influence of Poverty on Children's Educational<br> Achievement - Redux

Some subscribers to Math-Teach might be interested in a recent post
"The Overriding Influence of Poverty on Children's Educational
Achievement - Redux"[Hake (2013)]. The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: Among the 263 Comments (as of 4 March 2013 15:27-0800) on
Diane Ravitch's (2013) blog entry "Why I Cannot Support the Common
Core Standards" at <http://bit.ly/XGpEpK> was one by "Penny" who
wrote on 3 March 2013: ''We know that poorer (lower socioeconomic)
students tend to do poorer in school. How about looking at the true
root cause."

To look at the "true root cause" see, e.g., the poverty-related
references from my *complete* post "The Contentious Common Core
Controversy" [Hake 2013)] at <http://bit.ly/Y7ocMv>:

1. "Poverty and Potential: Out-of-School Factors and School
Success"[Berliner (2009)] at <http://bit.ly/fqiCUA>;

2. "Eight problems with Common Core Standards" [Brady (2012)] at
<http://wapo.st/15Z4kTg>;

3. "The Overriding Influence of Poverty on Children's Educational
Achievement" [Hake (2011)] at <http://bit.ly/tUU65W>;

4. "For Obama's New Term, Start Here" [Kristof (2013) at
<http://nyti.ms/WnEhU2>;

5. "Failure of U.S. Public Secondary Schools in Mathematics" [Marder
(2012)] at <http://bit.ly/KPitWM> (scroll down);

6. "Giving Our Children a Fighting Chance; Poverty, Literacy, and the
Development of Information Capital" [Neuman & Celano (2012)] at
<http://bit.ly/ZVCsil>.

To access the complete 11 kB post please click on <http://bit.ly/XHnEzS>.
Links to Articles: <http://bit.ly/a6M5y0>
Links to Socratic Dialogue Inducing (SDI) Labs: <http://bit.ly/9nGd3M>
Academia: <http://bit.ly/a8ixxm>
Blog: <http://bit.ly/9yGsXh>
GooglePlus: <http://bit.ly/KwZ6mE>
Google Scholar <http://bit.ly/Wz2FP3>
Twitter: <http://bit.ly/juvd52>
Facebook: <http://on.fb.me/XI7EKm>

"So much orchestrated attention is being showered on the Common Core
Standards, the main reason for poor student performance is being
ignored - a level of childhood poverty the consequences of which no
amount of schooling can effectively counter."
- Marion Brady (2012) at <http://wapo.st/15Z4kTg>.

REFERENCES [URL shortened by <http://bit.ly/> and accessed on 04 March 2013.]
Hake, R.R. 2013. "The Overriding Influence of Poverty on Children's
Educational Achievement - Redux," online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives
at <http://bit.ly/XHnEzS>. Post of 4 Mar 2013 15:38:45-0800 to AERA-L
and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post are being
transmitted to several discussion lists and are also on my blog
"Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/ZjbgoZ> with a provision for
comments.