Date: Mar 11, 2013 6:17 PM
Author: Robert Hansen
Subject: Re: Please help me with the following question

On Mar 11, 2013, at 5:26 PM, Joe Niederberger <> wrote:

> R Hansen says:
>> No, I meant period. You cannot take 4 coins, even if you know that the counterfeit coin is heavy and find it in one weighing.
> &&
>>> You cannot end up with a group of 4 coins in step 3
> Now I have no idea what you are claiming. Look at, say, the Frank Cole solution again:

Frank couldn't do it either. If I gave Frank 4 coins (or more) and told him that the counterfeit coin is heaver (or lighter) he would not be able to determine the coin in one weighing.:) Obviously, I am talking about the group strategy I posted earlier.

But Frank's strategy operates the same way. After 2 weighings, Frank's method eliminates 9 coins (their score/value is unreachable).

Bob Hansen