Date: Mar 18, 2013 4:21 PM
Author: Kaba
Subject: Re: Rules of etiquette on this newsgroup

18.3.2013 18:08, pepstein5@gmail.com wrote:
> But on a recent thread, [someone else] has been obviously obnoxious but
> nobody has bothered to criticise him. Is this a situation of sycophancy
> hat no one wants to criticise a credentialed mathematician? Or is it

that
> he gets the right to say what he wants because he's earned the right by
> making a lot of valuable contributions.

Paul, you have my sympathy. I was a regular for many years in
comp.graphics.algorithms. That group was very friendly, with fruitful
discussions, excellent signal-to-noise ratio, and most of the time
people assumed good faith (unfortunately c.g.a is now dead). Compared to
the c.g.a, sci.math is a relatively hostile newsgroup, and has a very
low signal-to-noise ratio. At recent times I have been reading Math
Overflow and the kind; they seem better options for the future.

I did take note of what happened in the thread you mention. No one is
excused for treating others badly; credits mean nothing. My approach is
to ignore (sub-)threads with negative content to protect my own well-being.

--
http://kaba.hilvi.org