Date: Mar 19, 2013 2:21 AM
Author: David Bernier
Subject: Re: Maths pedagaogy

On 03/18/2013 08:59 AM, Frederick Williams wrote:
> pepstein5@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> [...] I'm sure I'd have lots of questions and that would open up a great multilogue (meaning a dialogue but extended to more than two views)

> It pleases me to be able to report that the "di" bit of "dialogue" has
> nothing to do with two people. A conversation beteeen many is also a
> dialogue. The Greek "dia" means various things, "two" is not one of
> them. It is "di" (or "dis") that means two, but that is not the prefix
> here. It is "duologue" that means conversation between two parties.
>
> [Meanwhile, I'm thinking "dia" = "made of", "though", etc, which is it?
> "Made of" I suspect, because "logos" (among other things) means
> "speech", so a dialogue is made of speach. Hmm... I shall check. If a
> linguist comes along and says otherwise it is (s)he whom you should
> believe, not I.]

From affixes.org,

at:
http://www.affixes.org/d/dia-.html

"Most words beginning in dia- are based directly on Greek terms that
already contain it. Some examples are diagnosis (Greek diagign?skein,
distinguish or discern, from gign?skein, recognize or know), the
identification of the nature of an illness by examining symptoms;
diagonal (Greek g?nia, angle), joining two opposite corners; diagram
(Greek diagraphein, mark out by lines, from graphein, write); [...]"

and
"[...]Greek diabolos, slanderer, from ballein, to throw (the name of a
toy, diabolo, is a close relative via Latin and Italian)."

[Greek dia, through], says affixes.org.

dia-gram: write through, write across (?)
dia-logue: speech through/acoss (?)

So these dia- words already existed in "Old Greek", but
then "Old Greek" evolved over centuries;

see e.g. "Ancient Greek" at Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Greek

dave
--