Date: Mar 21, 2013 12:31 PM
Author: Charlotte Ward
Subject: Science Core Curriculum

I have taught both chemistry and physics at the university level. A poor high school chemistry course always seemed to be harder to overcome than a poor high school physics course. My main complaint was that high school courses seemed to emphasize memorizing formulas more than understanding principles. I also designed and taught a general science course for elementary school teachers-to-be and taught a weekly children's science class for many years. Hands-on science is the best way to engage young students, but it must never be at the expense of rigorously accurate presentation of concepts. This can be done at every grade level, but it is not easy. The teacher must understand the concepts thoroughly herself. The core curriculum should not try to do everything, but ensure that the most basic concepts are taught accurately