Date: Mar 23, 2013 6:08 PM
Author: mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
Subject: Re: Matheology § 224

On 23 Mrz., 21:26, William Hughes <wpihug...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Correct

> > > Nope, does not follow.

In set theory we can construct the set of all elements that have a
certain property. Does that mean that the property vanishes if too
many elements belong to the set?
The set of all negative numbers cannot be subtracted from the real
line without subtracting also a positive number ?
The set of all red cars cannot be formed without containing a green
car too?
The set of all lines without any relevance for the union cannot be
subtracted without changing the union?

> > It follows in ordinary logic. The negation of "no finite line changes
> > the union" is "at least one finite line changes the union".

> True but irrelevant.

You claim that no finite line of the set changes the union.
You claim that when every finite line which does not change the union,
is deleted, then the union is changed. So you claim just what you
acknowledge as true, namely the proposition, and you claim its
negation. Why should it be irrelevant?

Regards, WM