Date: Mar 25, 2013 12:59 PM
Author: David Petry
Subject: Re: Mathematics and the Roots of Postmodern Thought

On Monday, March 25, 2013 2:04:57 AM UTC-7, scattered wrote:
> On Monday, March 25, 2013 12:28:25 AM UTC-4, david petry wrote:

> > I actually believe that postmodernism is driving western civilization into a dark ages. And I think that's a good reason for getting mystical metaphysical nonsense out of mathematics. But no one seems to care.

> Apparently some conservative Chistians agree:

> http://boingboing.net/2012/08/07/what-do-christian-fundamentali.html

Interesting. Here's my take on that:

People often glimpse things intuitively that they can't really articulate, and then they mix their intuitions in with their religious beliefs, yielding something that outsiders find flabbergasting.

The intuition, which has been articulated by many first rate mathematicians at least since Poincare', is that we should not try to talk about things that we can't actually talk about. Cantorian set theory, which purports to prove that there exist uncountable sets (and hence sets containing more things than we can actually talk about) is then seen as nonsense on an intuitive level.