Date: Mar 25, 2013 11:08 PM
Author: fom
Subject: Re: Mathematics and the Roots of Postmodern Thought

On 3/25/2013 9:08 PM, david petry wrote:
> On Monday, March 25, 2013 1:27:46 PM UTC-7, fom wrote:
>> On 3/25/2013 11:14 AM, david petry wrote:
>
>>> It is falsifiability that gives mathematics meaning.
>
>> Meaning can be a complicated question. Typically,
>> in the modern sense of meaning, the meaning of a
>> statement is now taken to be its truth conditions.

> I guess that by "in the modern sense" you mean that
> some kind of consensus has been reached by the elite
> philosophers you think are worth listening to. I really
> doubt that a majority of intelligent people would
> agree with that consensus.

What I meant is precisely what I stated.

The modern sense to which I alluded is that the meaning
of a sentence is taken to be its truth conditions.

It is directly related to what are called correspondence
theories of truth.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/truth-correspondence/

That is not the only way that a language element can
be given meaning. But, you seem interested in what is
true in the "scientifically applicable" sense. It is
difficult to see that how you would be referring to the
meaning of statements in any other sense.