Date: Mar 27, 2013 1:14 PM
Author: kirby urner
Subject: Re: MathTeachers?

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 9:29 AM, Joe Niederberger

> GSC says:
> >"... the greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to
> understand the exponential function" -

> >This 'shortcoming' seems to have been something 'genetically inbuilt in
> our psyche. How than to bring home to students the overwhelming importance
> of this function?
> Actually, some people think our inborn number sense is logarithmic, and
> when we learn to count we are sort of working against that bias.
> Cheers,
> Joe N

This is where someone needs (is obliged to) mention music and logs and the
fact that the eight notes of the octave represent a doubling then another
doubling (of frequency).
(see The Big Picture)

This was also the topic of Sir Roger spoke about at our Oregon Math Summit
in 1997 as I recall. He was mapping the scale to e to the i theta in some
way. (goes into more detail
about what he talked about)