Date: Mar 30, 2013 10:20 AM
Author: Jesse F. Hughes
Subject: Re: Mathematics and the Roots of Postmodern Thought

david petry <david_lawrence_petry@yahoo.com> writes:

> On Monday, March 25, 2013 1:27:46 PM UTC-7, fom wrote:
>> On 3/25/2013 11:14 AM, david petry wrote:
>
>> > It is falsifiability that gives mathematics meaning.
>
>> Meaning can be a complicated question. Typically,
>> in the modern sense of meaning, the meaning of a
>> statement is now taken to be its truth conditions.

> I guess that by "in the modern sense" you mean that some kind of
> consensus has been reached by the elite philosophers you think are
> worth listening to. I really doubt that a majority of intelligent
> people would agree with that consensus.

Right.

But if you ask the man on the street what provides meaning, he'll say
"falsifiability!"

It's no good pretending that philosophers' answers are irrelevant,
because they are not accepted by the common man, when your own answers
are similarly obscure and unaccepted.

--
Jesse F. Hughes

"When you try to kiss a girl, it's hard not to get spit on the girl."
-- Quincy P. Hughes, age 3 (almost 4)